FAW Tier two league formed in 1990
Last season 2019


Whilst Caernarfon Town made a quick return to the League of Wales, there was no demotion from the Cymru Alliance, because no northern club was demoted from the top flight in 2001/02, whilst Anglesey rivals Glantraeth and Llangefni Town merged their resources to form a single club.

With the league already one short of its full complement, the Cymru Alliance welcomed Gresford Athletic, Guilsfield and Llanfairpwll on promotion from the 3 feeder competitions.

Unusually, Guilsfield were elevated despite not finishing in the top two of the Mid Wales League, as this competition did not complete its fixtures due to the impact of foot-and-mouth.

After concluding the first half of their fixture list, Welshpool headed the table, after going close in the previous two campaigns. Llangefni-Glantraeth were just 4 points behind the mid Wales club, despite playing two more games, whilst Porthmadog and Ruthin Town were handily placed with a game in hand on the leaders. As the campaign moved into the spring, Welshpool Town maintained their drive towards the championship with their nearest rivals being the Ynys Mon duo of Llangefni-Glantraeth and Cemaes Bay .

At the conclusion of the season, the Lilywhites landed their first Cymru Alliance title by a 5 point margin over Llangefni-Glantraeth and with just four league defeats throughout the campaign. Cemaes Bay held on for third place, for a second time in three seasons, from Porthmadog and Buckley Town , who appeared to be a club that was ‘on the up'.

The Maesydre outfit completed a double when they lifted the Central Wales Challenge Cup for a fourth successive time, with victory over Mid Wales League opponents Kerry in the final. Welshpool managed to reach the quarter finals of the Welsh Cup before bowing out 4-0 to the Flexsys Cefn Druids team that had overcome Halkyn United in the previous round.

Elswhere Cemaes Bay ended the 2001/02 season by lifting the league cup with victory over Ruthin Town in the final. The Parc-y-Dre outfit also lost to Buckley Town in the final of the NE Wales Challenge Cup