17-12-2016 14:30

Player statistic

QTY Event Time
Jack KENNY 1 Goal 17'
Mike PARKER 1 Goal 49'
Mike PARKER 1 Goal 72'
Jordon DAVIES 1
Time Event QTY
62' Goal 1 Jay GIBBS
89' Goal 1 Jamie BREESE

Additional information

Lee Evans


Prestatyn Town 3 – 2 Caernarfon Town.

The Canaries went close to securing a draw at Bastion Gardens today but ultimately failed and now stand nine points behind the Cymru Alliance League leaders Prestatyn Town.

Caernarfon began well and looked confident in possession but, despite their attempts to promptly feed their pacey frontmen, they soon found their attacking options limited due to the hosts’ excellent defence. Prestatyn looked very strong at the back and their defenders were also finding strikers Jack Kenny and Jordan Davies well whenever they broke up the Cofis’ attacks.

The opening fifteen minutes were predictably tight and with neither having created any goalscoring opportunities it took a slip from Town stopper Keighan Jones on sixteen minutes to provide the hosts with their first real look at goal, Jordan Davies taking full advantage to flick the ball over the keeper and then into an empty goal. The young Town stopper made amends five minutes later when he position himself well to keep out a long range effort from James Stead.

Caernarfon’s first real to get back on level terms arrived on the half-hour mark when Jamie Breese got on the end of Nathan Craig’s excellent pass but home keeper Carl Jones managed to rush off his line to force the striker to shoot wide.

Jones came to his side’s rescue again five minutes later when his defence failed to clear a Nathan Craig delivery into the box, the keeper managing to get his hand to a Kevin Lloyd effort from close range before the ball was punted clear by Reece Fairhurst.

The Cofis found themselves a further goal down four minutes after the restart when they failed to deal with a free-kick into the penalty area, and Michael Parker got the final touch to place the ball beyond Jones and into his net. Minutes later Jack Kenny went close to adding a third for the Seasiders when he struck against the woodwork from twelve yards and this near miss seemed to spur Caernarfon into a more attacking mode.

On the hour make Clive Williams got above his marker at the far post to meet a Craig corner, but the defender’s effort flew inches over the bar. Jay Gibbs gave the Champions hope two minutes later with a contender for the goal of the season. There seemed nothing on for the midfielder when he won a tussle in midfield but he had pointed Jones off his line, and struck from the half way line, the ball sailing over the home stopper and into his net. An astounding strike by the playmaker, who was deservedly voted the supporters’ man of the match for Caernarfon.

 Keighan Jones was forced into two excellent saves to thwart Davies and Kenny before Parker restored Prestatyn’s lead when he got on the end of a free kick into the box to head the ball downwards and into the far corner of the Caernarfon goal.

Town manager Iwan Williams immediately instructed his charges into a more offensive formation and, with substitute Jamie Roberts providing a spark in midfield, the Cofis finally seemed to find an edge as they looked to try and salvage at least a point.

The youngster gave Town a more dynamic look going forward and he was instrumental in setting up his side’s second goal, linking up well with Thomas and Craven to set up Breese, who made no mistake by rifling past Jones to set up an exciting finish.

With Caernarfon searching for an equaliser the game opened up even more and it made for a rousing climax. Prestatyn managed to stem the tide with some controlled play but it needed a last gasp block in the final seconds to secure the victory, the ball falling to Leigh Craven following a scramble in the home penalty area but his goalbound effort was blocked by Myles Hart. It was not to be, however, and the excellent Seasiders move nine points ahead of Caernarfon at the top of the table.