FAW Tier two league formed in 1990
Last season 2019

12-08-2017 14:30

Player statistic

QTY Event Time
Mark CONNOLLY 1 Goal 66'
Stewart CARROLL 1
Time Event QTY
53' Goal 1 Asa HAMILTON
1 Robbie JAMES

Additional information

Ashley Jones

Guilsfield match report

Mad day at Sunny Rhyl

The season's opener turned out to be a game to remember after a mad second half which had many twists and turns.

The watching spectators had barely settled into their seats when new Guilsfield 'Keeper Andy Wycherley made a stunning penalty save in the 4th minute . A minute later the stopper made another great stop to defy the hosts. The former England under 18 international went on to have a great game, with a string of saves to frustrate the Rhyl attack.
This game was not all one-way traffic, as Guilsfield caused Rhyl all sorts of problems throughout the game with our attacking threat. Chances fell to Asa Hamilton on ten minutes, followed by a strike from Adam Jenkins on 20 mins when his curled shot went close. Rhyl were denied by Andy on 27 mins as Robbie was adjudged to have fouled on the edge of the box - yellow card. The resulting free kick was tipped over by Wycherley. The keeper kept a clean sheet until the half time whistle with another block on 41mins.
The second half began with the crowd unaware of the action to follow. Guilsfield stunned the hosts by taking the lead on 55 minutes as Asa Hamilton struck home a penalty after Jenkins had been tripped in the box. The debutant striker left the field a few minutes later to be replaced by another newcomer, Iwan Matthews.
Rhyl equalised in controversial fashion on 65 mins as a Rhyl shot went wide of the post but the referee had blown for a penalty, deeming that James had committed foul - a second yellow card for the classy defender. Connolly slotted home the resulting spot-kick with Guilsfield having to battle on with ten men.
Ten minutes later Rhyl thought they had taken the lead as a Connolly strike rebounded off the bar to Alex Jones who slotted home. However, the goal was ruled out for offside to the relief of the travelling Guils faithful. In a final twist, Adam Jenkins jinked into the 18 yard area and was wrestled to the floor by Brewerton. Another penalty was awarded, and Jake Cook stepped up to take the kick but this was saved by Rhyl goalkeeper Crowther.
Final Score : 1-1
This hard-earned point reflected the close knit spirit shown by Nathan Leonard's squad. Guilsfield man of the Match: Andy Wycherley and Stuart Rogers.

Rhyl match report

Rhyl shared the spoils with Guilsfield in an all action opening day clash at the Corbett Sports Stadium.

The Lilywhites could have got off to a dream start in the 4th minute when the referee pointed to the spot after Alex Jones was brought down in the penalty area. New signing Mark Connolly stepped up to take the kick but his kick brought about an excellent save from Ex England U18 International Andy Wycherley who was making his debut for Guilsfield on loan from TNS.

Just over a minute later and once again Wycherley was on hand to palm away a firm Alex Jones shot which set the tone for the rest of the half. Whilst Rhyl held most of the possession Guilsfield continued to pose danger on the break and Rory Crowther was called into action in the 21st minute tipping over a shot which looked to be dipping in to the net.

In the 28th minute Alex Titchiner was through on goal and the last defender Robbie James brought him down. A free kick was awarded with the referee showing only a yellow with the home fans calling for the red. The resultant free kick saw a fine Tom Hartley shot tipped over by Wycherley who continued to be the thorn in the side of the Lilywhites.

Guilsfield continued to create chances with Crowther matching his counterpart at the other end by produing a series of fine saves and with three minutes to go, the hosts should have taken the lead. A clear chance for Titchiner was saved and the rebound fell to Alex Jones and once again his chance was blocked.

In the second half the hosts continued to press, but it was the visitors who were to take the lead in the 55th minute. Clumsy defensive play saw Carroll concede the penalty and Asa Hamilton made no mistake to slot the chance home.

Just over 10 minutes later Alex Jones was able to cut in from the Rhyl left but as he was about to shoot he was fouled by Robbie James and for the third time in the match referee Ashley Jones pointed to the spot and produced a second yellow for James. This time Mark Connolly was able to beat Wycherley to bring the hosts back into the game with 24 minutes left against 10 men.

Rhyl continued to create chances Connolly heading over and Titchiner had a glorious chance for the lead but his shot was saved by Wycherley once again. Two minutes later the hosts had the ball in the net as a header from Mark Connolly hit the bar and the rebound fell to Alex Jones who calmly finished. With the celebrations concluded the Referee and Assistant decided the goal should not stand, seemingly for a player in an offside position close to the line who it may have deflected off.

With Rhyl pushing for a winner, Guilsfield sought an upset on the break and they presented with a glorious opportunity in the 87th minute. Captain James Brewerton as he went to clear the ball appeared to swipe the Guilfield attacker leaving the referee with no option to point to the spot for the fourth time. This time it was Rory Crowther’s chance to be the hero and he stepped up to the mark making a fine save from the penalty to prevent Guilsfield claiming the winner.

Deep into injury time Guilsfield had one last chance from a free kick but the chance hit the wall with the referee blowing up for full time in a match which both sides will feel unfortunate not to win.