FAW Tier two league formed in 1990
Last season 2019

23-08-2017 19:30

Player statistic

QTY Event Time
Cai L JONES 1 Goal 3'
Julian WILLIAMS 1 Goal 59'
Time Event QTY
15' Goal 1 Gareth EDWARDS
70' Goal 1 Nathan CRAIG
92' Goal 1 Darren THOMAS

Additional information

Aron Jones

Report from Porthmadog web site

Caernarfon edged the Gwynedd Derby, once more, in an end to end contest full of exciting, quality football. It took a late, late added time goal from Darren Thomas to clinch the three points for the Cofis in a game where Port were twice in front and had the visitors chasing the game. But Caernarfon persistence paid off in the end, while Port were left to rue the unnecessary penalty conceded and wonder how, despite scoring two superb goals, they end up on the wrong end of the odd goal in five. So the hoodoo persists!

Port got off to as good a start as they could possibly wish for, when after just 3’ minutes Cai Jones put them ahead with a super strike from 18 yards. Cai took full advantage of some hesitation on the edge of the Caernarfon penalty area, teed up a shot and struck a thunderbolt into the top corner of the net. Caernarfon moved to strike back immediately with Jamie Breese playing the ball to the far post where Darren Thomas touched the ball wide of the post. A minute later Breese received in space 15 yards out but lifted his shot over the bar. Port struck back with Julian Williams breaking dangerously down the right feeding Joe Chaplin at the near post but the striker failed to get a clean shot on goal. With 15 minutes gone Caernarfon drew level and it was the tall figure of Gareth Edwards who took full advantage of Nathan Craig’s corner kick find the net with a clean header from 8 yards. Play continued with plenty of goalmouth action. For Port, following some good build up play, Ifan Emlyn’s dangerous cross to the far post narrowly eluded a final touch.Then Julian Williams’ free kick from wide right went across goal and narrowly wide of the far post while after more good buld up play Gareth Jones Evans lifted a shot over the bar. Caernarfon over the same period attacked with pace as Nathan Crag on the left crossed to the far post where Darren Thomas struck the side netting. It needed a good block from Leon Doran to halt Caernarfon as once more Nathan Craig supplied Darren Thomas. Port came again sttongly at the end of the opening half with keeper Alex Ramsey saving at his near post from Julian Williams who also sent a dipping free kick narrowly over the bar. With time in the half running out Sion Bradley raced on to a good ball from Jsh Banks down the left, cut inside and forced Ramsey into a good save. All square 1-1 at the interval which was a fair reflection of a good first half.

Two minutes into the second period a great run from Joe Chaplin opened up the Cofid defence with a direct run and a find through ball for Julian Williams who took the ball wide and the chance was gone. Typical of the end to end play Caernarfon responded and a touch on from Nathan Craig’s corner had to be cleared off the line. But with 59 minutes gone Julian Williams put Port back in front with a superb individual goal. He received the ball just inside the Caernarfon half, raced past nathan Craig cutting to the edge of the box, turning on to his left foot and placing his low shot inches inside the far post. Again Caernarfon responded and Darren Thomas angled shot was well cleared by Josh Banks at the far post. Carrnarfon continued to fight too get on level terms as the attcked with direct runs at pace. A break down the left turned disastrous for Port as a chance to clear was missed and led to Breese being brought down in the box and referee Aaron Jones pointed to the spot. Nathan Craig netted emphatically from the spot, All square again all to play for. Darren Thomas and Jay Gibbs had efforts for Caernarfon and for Port their best chance fell for Joe Chaplin. He met a good cross from Meilir Williams but lifted his shot inches over the bar. Then with time running out there was one more drama to be played out. In the second minute of injury time Darren Thomas chased down a long ball down the right. He cut inside eluding his marker and netting with a fine angked shot from 15 yards. Ecstasy for Caernarfon and their supporters while Port were left to wonder why it had happend again. An excellent allround performance, two super goals and yet another defeat.