FAW Tier two league formed in 1990

12-08-2017 14:30

Player statistic

QTY Event Time
Mel McGINNESS 1 Goal 40'

Additional information

Dan Fogarty

Report with thanks from Holyhead Hotspur website

It was predator Mel McGinness who earned Holyhead Hotspur all three points five minutes before the break in their first game of the Huws Gray Alliance season 2017/18. However it was keeper Paul Pritchard who deserves the plaudits with some brilliant saves to deny a very enterprising Ruthin Town side who will feel they deserved to go back to North east Wales with something in the bank.

Although Hotspur enjoyed more possession especially in the first half Ruthin were quick on the break and but for Pritchard would have been in front at the interval not one down to the Mel McGinness strike.

Manager Campbell Harrison and assistant Darren Garmey however will look to a number of positives including a lot of character and good defensive qualities as Ruthin threatened to draw level in the second period, but it is three points at the end of the day against a good outfit which will put the side in good heart for the always eagerly awaited clash with old rivals Caernarfon Town at their Oval ground next Saturday 19th August 2.30pm kick off.

Hotspur were faster out of the blocks and Mel McGinness’s waspish shot was just off target on 8 minutes. Hotspur continued to ask questions but Ruthin looked very sharp on the break and Jordan Mc Carter tested Paul Pritchard after 12. The visitors rapid counter attacks almost got them the lead on 14 with Llyr Morris latching on to a through ball as Pritchard came out and deflect. His effort skimming the top of the bar.

Hotspur didn’t learn from the let off and Craig Wilkinson almost got a vital touch in front of goal on 15. Then Elyr Morris got in on 17 when his free header saw Pritchard down very smartish to save low down to his right with the visitors threatening the home goal. Dean Garmey at the other end was wide from a free kick on 26. Three minutes later Dewi Thomas set up Dan Mc Ginness who blazed over from a good position on the half hour. Just after Sam Jones found Morris who looked odds on to score, but Pritchard spread himself superbly to his left to deflect to safety and then pushed away a cross under heavy pressure. The visitors would rue their missed opportunities as on 40 a free kick by Kenleigh Owen on the right flicked off John Littlemore’s head in the goal mouth and eventually reached Mel McGinness who needed no second chance ro rifle past Ryan Goldstone. Half Time 1 – 0

A fine mazy run by Owen and a Dewi Thomas shot just wide opened the second half while at the other end a free kick by Iwan Hughes saw Mc Carter head just wide. On 62 Mc Carter unleashed a powerful shot which looked goal bound all the way but Pritchard in inspired form flung himself to his left to push the ball away superbly. This was followed on 74 by a hack off Hotspur’s line from Morris’s effort. Next goal all important for both sides with Ruthin Town pushing hard to draw level but Hotspur giving nothing away. On 89 after a great run on the left by substitute Ryan Taylor his cross across the Ruthin six yard area just evaded the outstretched leg of Mel McGinness for what would have been a fine goal.