FAW Tier two league formed in 1990

19-08-2017 14:30

Player statistic

QTY Event Time
Iwan MATTHEWS 1 Goal 75'
Iwan MATTHEWS 1 Goal 77'
Stuart ROGERS 1
Louis IRVINE 1
Time Event QTY
30' Goal 1 Steff DAVIES
1 Steff DAVIES
1 Liam LEWIS

Additional information

Dan Fogarty

Report taken from Guilsfield web site

Guilsfield managed to grab the 3 points in a tense encounter at the Community Centre Ground.
Penrhyncoch had the better of the first half, with Guilsfield' re-arranged line-up not getting into gear. Nathan Leonard was forced into a defensive re-shuffle with Robbie James serving a one-match ban and Callum Bromley struggling with a hamstring injury, so in came youngster Curtis Weetman for his home debut. Curtis repaid the manager's faith with an assured performance. Also making his home debut was striker Iwan Matthews, who made a telling contribution in the last quarter of the match.

Penrhyncoch took a half time lead with Steffan Davies' clean header on 30 mins. Lenny couldn't wait for the half-time whistle to come so he could dish out a few home truths about the first half performance.

The lads duly took on board the manager's comments and came out a different side in the second half with a series of attacks which Roosters' keeper Leigh Jenkins repelled with 3 top saves. Louis Irvine was also denied by the post after his curling shot struck the upright. Penrhyncoch still carried a threat on the break but the home side were far more resolute in the second period, with Andy Ford to the fore at the back.

Lenny made a change on 70 mins, with Adam Jenkins replacing Captain Gareth Jones, who was restricted with a troublesome knee strain. The front man's introduction led to space being created in the last third and on 75 mins, Iwan Matthews rose powerfully to head home the equaliser. Guilsfield were on the front foot by now and two minutes later, the winning goal came - and what a goal it was! A flowing move resulted in Jake Cook and the tireless Asa Hamilton combining for Iwan Matthews to volley home a great strike. A brilliant finish.

There was still time for Penrhyncoch to bounce back, and a double save from Andy Wycherley was needed to secure the 3 points.